I have the perfect recipe for the weekend! After asking my Facebook fans for their input, I decided to post a delicious treat that will satisfy anybody’s sweet tooth. It’s not safe for cats or dogs, but I promise we won’t mind if YOU enjoy it! Just remember not to eat all the biscotti at once!
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 Tsp baking soda
1/2 Tsp double-acting baking powder
1/2 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp cinnamon
1/2 Tsp ground cloves
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp strongly brewed espresso, cooled
1 Tbsp Kahlua
1 Tbsp plus 1 Tsp soy milk
1 1/2 Tsp Ener-G plus 1 Tbsp water (instead of 1 egg yolk)
1 Tsp vanilla
1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and coarsely chopped
1/4-1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, blend the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cloves until mixture is combined well.
- In small bowl, whisk together espresso, milk, Ener-G and vanilla and add mixture to flour mix.
- Beat until dough is formed and then stir in hazelnuts and chocolate chips.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface, knead several times and halve it.
- Working on large buttered and floured baking sheet, flour hands and form dough into logs in flattish logs.
- Logs should be approximately 12 inches long and 2 inches wide and arranged at least 3 inches apart.
- Bake logs in middle of 350F degree preheated oven for 20 minutes and let cool on rack for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300F degrees.
- On cutting board, cut logs crosswise on the diagonal and into 1/4 inch slices.
- Arrange pieces cut side down on baking sheet and bake for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until golden.
- Transfer pieces to rack to cool and then store in airtight container.
Makes approximately 32 biscotti