Breeder: Gayle Baker
Address: 2593 Rifle Rd
City, State, Zip: Minneapolis, KS 67467
USDA License: 48-A-1989
Date and time of CAPS investigation: 5/24/21, 1530
Weather at time of investigation: 90°F and sunny
Approximate number of dogs observed at time of investigation: 14
Breeds: French Bulldogs
The facility had several buildings on the property, with two kennel buildings on the south end. One of the buildings had doggie-doors just above the ground on the its southern side. However, no runs were attached to them, indicating the building no longer contained dogs or the dogs inside no longer had access to outside runs. Another building had about seven indoor/outdoor dog runs on the building’s east side, with doggie-doors allowing access between runs. The outdoor runs had thick-gauge galvanized wire walls and concrete floorings. There were two French Bulldogs per run, and each run was about eight feet long and four feet wide.
At the southeast corner of the dog runs, which faced east, there was what appeared to be either manure or dirt piled up a foot high and piled up in a line five feet up and to the side of the corner, making an “L” shape, with wood shavings mixed into it.
Evidence contradicting pet store claims:
- On 4/23/19, I visited All Pets Club North Windham at 351 Boston Post Rd, North Windham, CT 06256. Sheets containing information about individual breeders selling to the store were available, and one contained the name, address, and USDA number for Gayle Baker. Regarding the store’s breeders, an employee told me, “They’ll have like four or five separate moms and then like two studs.” This is contradicted by about 14 dogs being visible on Baker’s property when it was observed, without the whelping area even being observed.
- On 4/23/19, I visited All Pets Club Wallingford at 1167 N Colony Rd, Wallingford, CT 06492. Gayle Baker’s name, address, and USDA number were on a list of breeders posted in the store, alongside the names of other breeders supplying All Pets Club Wallingford. I asked an employee how dogs are raised at the store’s breeders, asking “Would you say all or most of your breeders treat ‘em like pets as opposed to like…” and he said, “Yeah, most of ‘em. They breed them in the house. You can tell when you get some of these puppies, you know, they’re spoiled rotten.” This statement is contradicted by Baker’s breeding dogs living in concrete runs.
- On 8/8/19, I visited Critter Place at 40 NJ-94, Vernon Township, NJ 07462. An employee told me that her breeders are not puppy mills, contradicted by Baker’s dogs living in concrete runs in a commercial dog-breeding environment.
Breeder is connected to the following stores:
- All Pets Club Branford, 479 E Main St, Branford, CT 06405 (Gayle Baker noted on a list of breeders in the store during a visit 4/22/19)
- All Pets Club North Windham, 351 Boston Post Rd, North Windham, CT 06256 (Gayle Baker noted on a sheet containing information about individual breeders selling to the store were available)
- All Pets Club Wallingford, 1167 N Colony Rd, Wallingford, CT 06492 (Gayle Baker noted on a list of breeders in the store during a visit 4/23/19)
- Critter Place, 40 NJ-94, Vernon Township, NJ 07462 (Gayle Baker’s name and USDA number is noted on a list of breeders for Critter Place provided to the state of NJ in 2018)
- Puppies Secret, 11924 SW 8th St, Miami, FL 33184