How to find a USDA licensed breeding or brokering facility

There are thousands commercial breeding facilities in the U.S. The U.S. Government's APHIS website can be used to get information, inspection reports (not CAPS' reports) and other information about these facilities.  It's a little complicated to navigate and understand at first, so here we provide some basic instructions:
  1. Visit:
  2. Scroll down and select: Inspection Reports and License and Registration List
  3. Click on "I AGREE" to get to the search page.
  4. To narrow your search enter the breeder's name in the name field if you know it.
  5. Change Customer Type to Breeder (or Broker)
  6. Click on the State dropdown if you know it.
  7. Click Search near the bottom of the form.
  8. The results are in PDF format.

Interpreting the results:

  • Breeders are puppy mills, catteries, and similar.
  • Dealers are brokers who may also breed, such as Kathy Bauck, Steve Kruse, etc. Brokers typically sell to pet shops.

Bea's Beat

Blog with CAPS Spokesmodel Beatrice, a puppy mill survivor and vegan advocate.

Blog with Beatrice!

Deborah Howard

Deborah Howard

Learn more about Deborah Howard, president and founder of Companion Animal Protection Society.

Meet Deborah


Keep up-to-date about CAPS and read about issues affecting companion animals, especially those suffering in pet shops and puppy mills.

Visit CAPS Blog

Contact Us

Contact CAPS

Companion Animal Protection Society (CAPS)
759 CJC Hwy., #332
Cohasset, MA 02025
p: 339-309-0272
501 (c)(3) Tax ID#: 58-2040413

Contact by Webform

Class Action Lawsuits

scales of justice

If you purchased a sick or dying puppy from Barkworks or Happiness is Pets, you may be able to join consumer class action lawsuits. The first step is to fill out the CAPS complaint form.

Read more about Happiness is Pets or Barkworks.

CAPS Complaint Form