Finding an attorney is as easy as 1-2-3!
1. Use the resources below to obtain the names of qualified estate planning attorneys in your area.
Here are some common resources to help you identify estate planning attorneys near you:
- Referrals from a local bar association or estate planning council
- The American Bar Association's Internet lawyer referral service, www.abanet.org (search for attorneys in your area and research firms or individual attorneys to identify which ones specialize in trusts and estates or wills and probate)
- References from relatives, friends, and co-workers
2. Do your homework to identify attorneys who are a good fit for your needs.
Once you've compiled a list of possible contenders, research them to determine the following information:
- Experience, professional accomplishments, and references
- How fees are charged, along with an estimate of costs
- The number of principals working in the office
- Office hours
- Areas of specialty and % of work devoted to estate planning
- Alliances with other professionals in related fields
3. Choose an attorney who is right for you.
It's important to choose someone you trust and respect. Please inform your chosen attorney about the advisor resources available on the CAPS website.