Brrr! It’s cold outside! All I want to do is snuggle in my favorite pink bed with my feline siblings and enjoy warm goodies throughout the day. Mother has been working non-stop and the perfect way to make up for those lost hours of attention is to take out the mixing bowls and prepare me a vegan feast (yes, Mother, I’m talking to you). If you’re feeling yucky from the chilly weather, this is the perfect recipe for you! Lemons and raspberries make me think of the summer- maybe a delish muffin can take away those winter blues!
2 cups unbleached flour
1 Tsp baking soda
1 Tsp baking powder
1/2 Tsp salt
2 1/2 Tsp grated lemon peel (the dried kind)
2/3 cups sugar
1/4 cup nonfat buttermilk (1/4 cup soy milk and 1 tsp lemon juice)
1/4 cup applesauce
1 Tbsp Ener-G and 4 Tbs water mix (Instead of 2 egg whites)
1 8oz carton of lemon flavored soy yogurt
1 Tsp vanilla extract
1 Tsp lemon extract
2 half pint cartons of fresh raspberries (about 2 cups – fresh or frozen)
*Blueberries will work well too.
- Combine all of the first ingredients in one bowl.
- Combine the next six ingredients in another smaller bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry along with the berries.
- Mix until barely combined. It is preferable to have some lumps in batter.
- Fill muffin tins that have been sprayed with cooking spray or lined with paper cups.
Cups should be very full of batter!
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.
*The fruit makes these muffins very moist, so if you want to keep them more than a day or two, put them in the refrigerator or freezer.