Rescues (8)

CAPS Rescue Fund

GizmoThe CAPS Rescue Fund benefits from your support. CAPS has rescued a number of puppy mills dogs during its investigations of USDA licensed facilities. We have placed most of these dogs in wonderful homes. A few older dogs are in long-term foster care, and CAPS is responsible for the cost of their care. Not only will your donation help with the expenses for the foster dogs, but it will also help cover veterinary bills, including spaying and neutering, for additional dogs that we rescue from puppy mills.


Gizmo, Spring 2002. He has a wonderful home and his fur is growing back.

Wednesday, 12 November 2008 23:27 Written by

Carmen's Story

CAPS rescued Carmen, a Chihuahua-terrier mix in 1996. She was living on the streets of Arenales, Puerto Rico. Due to demodectic mange, she was missing half of her fur and had infected, bloody sores on her body. Her stomach was bloated because she had given birth to puppies (two died and local people took the other two). Tom Howard photographed Carmen in front of a warehouse. He noticed that she was weary and dejected. Mr. Howard showed Carmen's photo to his wife, Deborah, the president of CAPS. He told her about the overwhelming number of unwanted dogs - Puerto Ricans call them "satos" - on the island.


Ms. Howard arranged for Nilsa Diaz from the Ciudadones Pro Animales de Aquadilla to rescue Carmen and take her for veterinary treatment. Several months later, Mr. Howard went to Puerto Rico to bring Carmen back to the states. Mr. Howard and Carmen appeared at a press conference that addressed the plight of the satos. Carmen's story appeared in a Puerto Rican newspaper.


Mr. Howard wanted to find a home for Carmen, but this feisty sata had other ideas. She became very attached to Mr. Howard and he couldn't part with her. Carmen is also very partial to her Abuela (grandmother) because she speaks Spanish to her and takes her for walks. Carmen spends her days sitting next to Mr. Howard in his home office and sunbathing. A true Puerto Rican, she is partial to warm, sunny weather. Her evenings are spent sitting right next to Mr. Howard on the recliner while he watches television and reads the newspaper. Mr. Howard tucks her in at night in her dog bed, which of course is situated on his side of the bed.


The Save A Sato organization, which rescues Puerto Rican street dogs and places them with no kill shelters on the mainland U.S., has excellent in-depth information on satos.

Thursday, 23 October 2008 00:05

Beatrice's Holistic Veterinary Care

Written by

Beatrice's Holistic Veterinary Care

I first met Beatrice, a one-year-old, spayed female Basset Hound, in January 2004. Beatrice's primary problems were a chronic cough caused by mycoplasma pneumonia and a congenital elbow deformity. An internal medicine specialist was treating Beatrice for the pneumonia with doxycycline, an antibiotic. Her cough had already started to improve on the medication. Beatrice had also seen an orthopedic specialist, who diagnosed the elbow condition as luxation of the radial heads of both elbows

I examined Beatrice to provide an opinion about complementary and alternative treatment options for her health issues. In the veterinary hospital, Beatrice showed a bright and friendly attitude. On physical exam, she had several quarter-sized hairless patches on her back, right hip, and right eyebrow area. Her ears had some moderate brown discharge and smelled of yeast. There were still some crackly sounds present in her lungs during inhalation, indicating that the pneumonia was not fully resolved. Beatrice's elbows were severely dysplastic, and she walked with a slight limp.

I took a swab of discharge from Beatrice's ears and several skin scrapings of the hairless patches to look at under the microscope. The ear swab revealed copious malassezia, a type of yeast. Malassezia is part of the ear's normal flora but can cause inflammation (otitis externa) when present in excessive amounts. Dogs with long, pendulous ears (like Basset Hounds), or dogs with allergies are predisposed to this type of infection. The skin scrapings were strongly positive for demodex, a mite that resides in the hair follicles. Demodectic mange in a young dog is typically associated with a genetic predisposition and immunosuppression.

I recommended an integrative approach, using conventional medicine, herbs, supplements, and acupuncture, to address Beatrice's health problems. This included continuing the antibiotics prescribed for her pneumonia by the internal medicine specialist. Beatrice’s guardian, Deborah Howard, was already giving her a Lactobacillus acidophilus supplement, which can help prevent any soft stools due to antibiotics.

Beatrice's elbow condition cannot be corrected using complementary or alternative treatments. However, acupuncture and chondroprotective agents can be used to manage pain and inflammation that may result from the deformity. I recommended a supplement called Myristol, which contains glucosamine, cetyl myristoleate, MSM, and hydrolyzed collagen. I also gave Beatrice an acupuncture treatment after the exam, using points to address the pneumonia and immune system deficiency as well as her elbow condition. Acupuncture may be used on a consistent or as needed basis to help control musculoskeletal pain.

For Beatrice's ears I suggested daily cleansing for one week with Dermapet MalAcetic Otic ear flush, a gentle solution that contains acetic and boric acid. This solution will safely clean the ears and eliminate yeast without irritation. I also recommended a topical treatment, Neem-Col spray, for the demodex infection of the skin. Neem is an ayurvedic herb that has antiparasitic properties. Moducare, a supplement containing plant sterols, was prescribed to improve Beatrice's immune system function. Anecdotal reports show that Moducare is helpful for dogs with demodectic mange. I also recommended supplemental vitamins C, E, and selenium, and omega-3 fatty acids to support her immune system and overall health.

Beatrice is currently doing well with the ongoing care she receives in the form of supplements, massage, acupuncture and the love and attention of her family!

Thursday, 23 October 2008 00:05

Baby, Mama and Grandma Basset Thrive in New Homes

Written by

Baby, Mama and Grandma Basset Thrive in New Homes

An Update on South Dakota Puppy Mill Dogs Rescued By CAPS

CAPS rescued three Basset Hounds, Grandma, Mama and Baby, from Tammi Namken's facility in South Dakota on May 1, 2003. Ms. Namken had sent Baby Basset to another puppy mill for use as breeding stock. She was returned after a couple of months because of her deformed elbows . Four-month-old Baby Basset had a bad cough when she was rescued. Ms. Namken gave her away because of her elbows. She no longer wanted 18-month-old Mama Basset because she had given birth to a puppy with deformed elbows. Ms. Namken also agreed to give CAPS investigators 8-year-old Grandma Basset because the dog was no longer producing large litters.

Kansas City-based Mid America Basset Rescue sent volunteer Jim Bly to South Dakota to pick up the dogs from CAPS investigators. Jim a nd his wife, Chris, fostered the three Basset Hounds. They recently formed their own rescue organization, Western Missouri Basset Rescue.

Baby Basset, now called Beatrice, had severe Mycoplasma pneumonia, which was not properly diagnosed until she Beatrice pre-washingcame to Fort Collins just before Christmas 2003 to live with APS President Deborah Howard. She recovered from the pneumonia but has some scarring on her lungs. She has congenital luxation of the radial heads of both elbows.

Tim and Lori Sanders of Tonganoxie, Kansas saw Grandma Basset, now called Millie, on WMBR (ABC affiliate in Kansas City, MO) Television's Adopt-a-Pet segment. They went to see her at the Bly residence in Kansas City, Missouri. All of the rescue Bassets ran out to greet t he Sanders with the exception of shy Millie, who hid in a hallway. Despite Millie's fear of men, she seemed to like Tim who petted her in the hallway.

Eric Whitaker and Rebecca Goodvin adopted Mama Basset, now called Grace, on June 7, 2003. They drove from their home in Lincoln, Nebraska to the Bly home. They were immediately drawn to Grace, who was outgoing, enjoyed playing with the other Bassets and the Bly grandchildren and was very protective of Beatrice.  

An Update on Beatrice (formerly Baby Basset)


By CAPS President Deborah Howard


Beatrice sunning herself on her deck


Beatrice in the St. Patrick's Day Parade.

Baby Basset, now named Beatrice, has been living with me since December 23, 2003. Her veterinary bills were more than $2,400. Beatrice had been coughing since we rescued her from the puppy mill, and the veterinarian in Kansas City gave her one antibiotic after another without suggesting that she see a specialist. When I spoke to this veterinarian on the phone, he said he thought it might be a chronic problem, b ut didn’t know what it was. I knew at that point that it was imperative to get her to Fort Collins, which is blessed with some of th e finest veterinarians in the country because of the CSU Veterinary School. Luckily, Jim Bly is a truck driver, and he was heading to Denv er. CAPS member Christine Gavlick, who has two Bassets of her own, was kind enough to pick up Beatrice at the truck stop. Beatrice stayed at Beatricethe Gavlick house for a couple of days.

An internal medicine veterinarian did a scope of Beatrice’s lungs on the day after Christmas. She had mycoplasma in

the lungs, w hich caused pneumonia. The pneumonia is gone, but she does have some lung scarring. She runs up the stairs, chases our red heeler mix and wrestles with him. Beatrice is also seeing a holistic veterinarian, who recommended supplements and vitamins to boost her immune system an d help prevent arthritis. She had some minor demodectic mange, which responded very well to Neem-Col, an Ayurvedic spray.

Beatrice also has congenital luxation of the radial heads of her elbows. She walks with a limp and it is difficult for her to go on walks. She seems to do well running short distances because of the momentum she gets from all four legs. A top orthopedist from CSU recommended surgery to remove the radial head if her elbows become really painful. The surgery, which costs $2400 per elbow, isn’t necessary at this point because she isn’t experiencing any pain. Massage therapy – Beatrice has a pro bono canine massage therapist – and acupuncture seem to help quite a bit. Beatrice

Beatrice is a very sweet, congenial dog who loves to hug, kiss and sit in your lap. She walked in the Fort Collins St. Patrick’s Day Parade with High Country Basset Rescue. She wore a large stiff white bow with green shamrocks and insisted on walking at the front of the group of Bassets. Beatrice walked close to the sidewalk where people were sitting so that they could hug and pet her. Toward the end of t he walk, she started to slow down, but she refused to ride in a wagon and insisted on walking the entire length of the parade and even bac k to the parking garage. She recently participated in the 1.5 mile Annie Walk, which is a dog walk and fest to raise money for children&rs quo;s library books, and the First Annual Pooch Plunge. Dog were allowed to swim for two hours on the evening of August 22 at Fort Collin& rsquo;s City Park Pool, which was recently renovated into a children’s pool. More than 450 dogs participated.

An Update on Grace (formerly Mama Basset)
As told to Deborah Howard by Rebecca Goodvin


Grace is getting along fabulously!  She loves to go for walks and greet new people and dogs on the way.  She's hard to resist. T here are people in the neighborhood who come out of their houses to greet her when we're walking by.  There are several other Bassets in the neighborhood, and she gets very excited when sees them.  Grace also loves going to the Lincoln Farmer's Market on Saturday mo rnings.  She soaks in the smells, but most of all she likes to find a shady spot where lots of people will walk by and stop to scratc h her tummy and behind her ears. 

We don't have children, but Grace is excellent with them. A little girl, about 2-years-old, at the Farmer’s Market climbed out of he r stroller to pet Grace. The girl’s mother asked if we had kids and commented on how sweet and calm Grace was with her daughter.&nbs p; Perhaps, Grace and children get along so well because Grace is kind of kid-sized anyway. 

Our friend has been terrified of all dogs since a childhood dog-bite experience.  We are slowly working on increasing her comfort wit h Grace, who is perfect for this kind of work because she knows when to be calm.  Last week my friend took the big step of feeding Gr ace a biscuit. When Grace is older, we would love to train her for certification as a therapy dog so that we can visit children's hospital s together.  Grace is in great shape. Routine visits to the vet indicate that she's a happy, healthy girl.

An Update on Millie (formerly Grandma Basset)
As told to Deborah Howard by Lori Sanders

Millie is afraid of children and most men, including our two young adult sons.  We have a 4-year-old granddaughter who adores Millie, but Millie tries to avoid her. In fact, she once jumped over our coffee table to get out of the way of our granddaughter. She has been cl ose to my husband ever since he made friends with her at the Bly house, and they spend evenings together while I am at work.  Millie was quite timid around a group of teenagers decorating our Christmas tree. She wanted so much to participate that she tried to overcome he r fear by hiding under the tree.

When Millie first met our St Bernard, Buford, she snapped at him and ran away. After that, they became good friends.  Before Millie c ame to live with us, Buford was depressed because of the death of our Malamute and wasn’t very active. He now romps and plays with M illie and tries to keep up with her in spite of his arthritis.  It is amusing to watch them running through the house, especially whi le Millie is scooting around corners. 

During a storm, Millie shivers. She will follow people, even my sons, around the house and sit with them. Millie will also overcome her sh yness and come up to people if they are petting Buford.

Rescue Animals, Pet Shop Dogs and ... a Bengal Tiger: Some of CAPS' Efforts and Accomplishments for 2002


Hershey: CAPS rescued Hershey, an 18-month-old Pomeranian-Dachshund from the Wee facility in Minnesota. This shy, fearful dog was very matted. His feet were encrusted with feces. Hershey has a wonderful new home.


Blondie: We rescued Blondie, a Chihuahua, during an investigation of puppy mills that deal with Shake A Paw. Blondie had scarred, swollen feet, sores, missing fur, gum disease, infected ears, and a red, swollen chest. She has a new home.

Bengal Tiger

Thursday, 23 October 2008 00:05

Maggie Rescues Herself

Written by

Maggie Rescues Herself

Florida Puppy Mill Dog Finds a New Home Thanks to a Dedicated CAPS Member

On a recent investigation, CAPS President Deborah Howard teamed up with the CAPS Lead Investigator Julie Workman to rescue a dog from a puppy mill in Florida. CAPS had received a complaint from a concerned citizen who had rescued a Jack Russell Terrier from this facility. The dog bit this woman's mother and an animal control officer and had to be euthanized.

The breeds at this small puppy mill included Chihuahuas, Hairless Chinese Cresteds, Shih Ttzus, St. Bernard mixes and Cocker Spaniels. The Cockers were the only dogs that were clean and well-groomed. The owner persuades the local shelter to give her purebred and mixed breed dogs. It is clear that animal control won't do anything about the puppy mill because of this arrangement. In addition, the sheriff's office told the woman who had purchased the Jack Russell Terrier that they had visited the facility and found no violations. In rural Florida, keeping dogs in dirty conditions is acceptable. The owner's fiance, who gave a tour of the facility to Ms. Howard and Ms. Workman, said that he and his fiance had nursed some of animal shelter dogs back to health. Unfortunately, some of these dogs had been used for breeding.

Ms. Howard and Ms. Workman noted many areas of concern. There was a lot of junk, old dilapidated cages, filthy open bags of dog food, fecal accumulation, filthy drinking water, chickens, turkeys, goats and sickly cats. The burn and garbage piles were overflowing with debris. The smell was very unpleasant.

Ms. Howard and Ms. Workman saw several matted Shih Tzus on soiled newspapers on the back porch. This area had feces and standing puddles of urine. The porch was enclosed with rough pieces of scrap boards and chicken wire. In some areas of the chicken wire, the dogs had chewed holes. This caused the wire to project in towards their faces. One Shih Tzu was missing an eye. Sharp wires and improperly constructed cages can cause serious injuries.

There were two tethered dogs. The man admitted that a tethered dog had been electrocuted during a lightning storm. Yet, the dogs seen by Ms. Howard and Ms. Workman were chained to very tall trees. He said that the large dog tethered in the woods away from the other dogs had saved his fiance's life. They were grateful to him and therefore provided him a home. We thought this was a very sad way to show gratitude.

During the CAPS visit, a mixed breed, Maggie, was running loose on the property. She followed Ms. Howard and Ms. Workman and tried to make friends with them. The man said that that a family had moved away and left Maggie in their care. Maggie had had eight puppies a couple of months earlier. Two of her puppies lived on the filthy back porch with the Shih Tzus. When the man brought out the puppies, Maggie immediately went to them. The man shoved her away and said that they weren't her puppies. One of the puppies looked just like her. He said he was selling the puppies for $25 each and added that a woman had given them the puppies to sell. The woman who had rescued the Jack Russell Terrier told Ms. Howard and Ms. Workman that she had seen Maggie with the eight puppies a few weeks earlier and that they were definitely her puppies.

When Ms. Howard and Ms. Workman were leaving the facility, Maggie ran out to the car and tried to get in. The man yelled at her to get back in the yard. Then, he told them that they could take her for free. At first, they declined because they didn't have a foster home for her. Maggie, however, was not about to let them leave without her. After the man went back into the house, she slid under the fence and tried to get into the car again. It was obvious that she wanted to get out of this place. Once Maggie was in the car, Ms. Howard frantically called all of her rescue friends in Atlanta, but they had too many dogs.

So, in the end, Maggie actually rescued herself. One of our dedicated and very generous members in Atlanta paid for Maggie's veterinary bills and found her a home with a very kind retired Episcopal priest. He had recently lost a mixed breed dog to cancer and was looking for a dog that needed him as much as he needed her.

Thursday, 23 October 2008 00:05

Daisy's Last Six Months

Written by

Daisy's Last Six Months Were the Best in Her Life

CAPS Investigators Rescued Older Great Pyrenees from a Life of Abuse

By CAPS member Sharon Koermer

Daisy's last six months were quite possibly the best in her life.

CAPS lead investigator Julie Workman rescued Daisy from the Lorton puppy mill, a USDA licensed facility in Illinois that supposedly has no Animal Welfare Act violations. Daisy, a nine-year-old Great Pyrenees, lived out the last six months of her life at Julie's home.

The emphasis during this time was on restoring Daisy's understanding of a more normal and stable home environment by giving her lots of love, understanding, and quality exposure to a range of family members and friends. But adjustment took patience and perseverance.

As an abused canine, Daisy was afraid of loud noises, especially thunder and fireworks. On July 4th of last year, for instance, she was so scared by the fireworks that she ran through a fence and badly scratched herself.

Last October, a tornado ripped through Julie's town. The atmospheric turmoil so frightened Daisy that Julie's husband lovingly picked her up and carried her down into the family's basement for shelter. Daisy's fear, manifested by her intense shivering and whimpering, was calmed as they rode out the storm together.

At first afraid of men, Daisy instinctively watched their hands and feet for telltale signs of impending abusive action. She was also afraid to eat in front of people.

Daisy's overall anxiety resulted in Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which causes severe diarrhea and pain. Treatment for this disease consisted of steroids, tranquilizers and a very calm environment.

This did not mean that Daisy didn't make considerable progress. It wasn't long, for instance, before Daisy became housebroken. She went to the door to let Julie know that she had to relieve herself in the backyard.

After a couple of months, Daisy felt comfortable enough to spend the evening hours in the living room with Julie's husband while he watched the television.

She also learned to enjoy having Julie brush her fur and even visited a groomer a couple of times. The groomer, Lois Burton, fostered puppy mill Chihuahuas Salsa and Gordita and found a number of permanent homes for CAPS rescue dogs. Salsa lives with Ms. Burton. Daisy's professional grooming included a fancy hairdo, but bows were excluded - Daisy just wasn't the type.

One day, Daisy got a special gift from CAPS President, Deborah Howard. It was a rhinestone collar with daisies on it. Everyone thought it made her so pretty. Julie was unable to get a photograph of Daisy wearing her special collar.

On strolls through the neighborhood, neighbors would often come out of their house to greet this transformed dog, offering homage to Daisy's transformation from an abused puppy mill dog to a happy member of Julie's family. In honor of Daisy, a local bridge may be named after her.

Back inside the house, Daisy's restored appetite drove her to ingenious, albeit comical ways of accessing stored food. It wasn't long, for instance, before she got to know where the treats were kept. And with the help of a feline resident named Spike, willing to act as an accomplice in Daisy's food quest, they would sneak into the kitchen. Spike walked underneath Daisy until they reached their point of pillage. Once there, they would undertake a maneuver designed to recover what they understandably believed was rightfully theirs.

But perhaps the warmest, most heartening display - imbuing that extra measure of meaning to the whole process of rescuing abused animals like Daisy - was the love Daisy and Julie's grandmother showed for one another. Grandma loved Daisy, and she did everything she could to comfort Daisy, making a fluffy bed, a body pillow, and a blanket to ease her arthritic pain.

Sadly, and all-too-quickly, while Julie was on a three-week CAPS investigation in Minnesota, Daisy unexpectedly died. She was with Julie's husband and grandmother when she passed away. Julie's grandmother sat up with her all night long because Daisy was in distress. An autopsy revealed that her heart had been enlarged from either genetic and/or stress related-reasons stemming from abuse.

Julie's husband called her in Minnesota to tell her of Daisy's death. Julie couldn't come home because she had a number of facilities to investigate. Later that day, she rescued Gizmo from Reuben Wee's facility.

Julie still feels very upset that she wasn't at home when Daisy passed away, but she takes comfort in knowing that she gave Daisy the best six months of her life.

CAPS investigators also rescued Daisy's breeding mate, Buck, and two-year old offspring, Sassy, from the Lorton facility. Due to his advanced age, CAPS has been unable to find a foster or permanent home for Buck. CAPS has to pay $150 a month for Buck's boarding. Julie visits him on a regular basis. If you live in Illinois and would be interested in providing Buck with a permanent home for the last few years of his life, please contact CAPS.

Sassy, the daughter of Buck and Daisy, was a two-year-old female Great Pyrenees who had been severely abused by the husband. This abuse caused her to be timid/aggressive. Sadly, without the permission of CAPS, a woman from Great Pyrenees Rescue in Illinois had Sassy put down immediately after picking her up from Julie. CAPS had not signed a relinquishment form. The vet who euthanized her did not even check for contusions or broken bones. One can work with dogs that are timid/aggressive due change.their.behavior. Unfortunately, some.rescue people.don't.want to take the time to work with dogs like Sassy. The rescue woman could have returned Sassy to CAPS investigators.

Thursday, 23 October 2008 00:05

Fall 2003 Photo Sheet

Written by

USDA Investigations in South Dakota, Kansas and Missouri: 2003

Grandma Basset: During a three-week investigation of USDA licensed facilities in South Dakota, CAPS rescued three Basset Hounds. CAPS obtained eight-year-old Grandma Basset because she no longer produced large enough litters. Mid America Basset Rescue found a wonderful home for this regal looking dog.

Mama Basset: The South Dakota puppy mill gave up Grandma's daughter, Mama Basset, because she produced a congenitally deformed puppy, Baby Basset. Mama has a permanent home thanks to Mid America Basset Rescue.

Baby Basset: Mama Basset's daughter, Baby Basset, has congenitally deformed elbows and will need surgery. She may have Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, which was possibly caused by untreated pneumonia. She will need specialized care at a veterinary teaching hospital. Baby Basset needs sponsors to cover her considerable medical expenses.

Grandma, Mama and Baby in the Rescue Vehicle:
Mid America Basset Rescue drove from Kansas City to South Dakota to pick up the three CAPS rescue dogs.

Buster: CAPS rescued Buster, a Pug puppy, during an investigation of Kansas and Missouri facilities that were selling to The New Zoo pet shop in Massachusetts. The puppy mill owner had placed Buster outdoors even though he had a "cold." Buster was initially diagnosed with pneumonia and then started having almost constant seizures. CAPS' rescue vet suspected distemper. Sadly, our vet had to euthanize Buster because he was so ill.

Shasta: CAPS rescued Shasta, a Huskie puppy, during our second investigation of the Poor facility in Missouri. Shasta, who was covered in dried urine and feces, had severe diarrhea. CAPS found numerous violations at this puppy mill just nine days after the USDA inspector failed to find a single non-compliance. Shasta is with a new family thanks to Illinois-based Homes for Huskies

Neiner: CAPS rescue vets treated this emaciated Chihuahua, who came from a Missouri puppy mill, for a frost-bitten penis, undescended testicles, urination problems, ear infections, bad teeth and alopecia. Neiner is in a long-term foster home.

Tiger: CAPS rescued Tiger, an emaciated pet shop reject, from a Missouri puppy mill. He had a healed fracture on his left hind leg and was born without a right hip socket. He had two surgeries for perforated intestines but ultimately succumbed to peritonitis.

Thursday, 23 October 2008 00:05

Fall 2002 Photo Sheet

Written by

Rescue Animals, Pet Shop Dogs and ... a Bengal Tiger: Some of CAPS' Efforts and Accomplishments for 2002


Hershey: CAPS rescued Hershey, an 18-month-old Pomeranian-Dachshund from the Wee facility in Minnesota. This shy, fearful dog was very matted. His feet were encrusted with feces. Hershey has a wonderful new home.


Blondie: We rescued Blondie, a Chihuahua, during an investigation of puppy mills that deal with Shake A Paw. Blondie had scarred, swollen feet, sores, missing fur, gum disease, infected ears, and a red, swollen chest. She has a new home.

Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger: This male Bengal Tiger is one of a number of animals (wild and domestic) we saw during an investigation of an unlicensed exotics dealer. CAPS submitted the evidence from this investigation to state and federal authorities.


Sadik: CAPS rescued Sadik, an eight-month-old German Shepherd from the exotics dealer. He had sores on his ears from fly bites and has hip dysplasia. Sadik is in long-term foster care so that he can be socialized and housebroken. He will need a home with a loving, patient family.

Wolf and Timber

Wolf and Timber: These Malamutes came from a Shake A Paw pet shop. CAPS investigated Wolf's atrocious breeder. Wolf needs surgery for hip dysplasia. Timber's cherry eye also requires surgery.


Coal: CAPS rescued Coal from the exotics dealer. He has around domestic 100 cats. The dealer said that Coal was going to be a snack for the tigers if he jumped into their pen. Coal has a home.


Bledsoe: This Chihuahua from The New Zoo pet shop nearly died from a viral infection and hypoglycemia. Bledsoe also had a number of other medical problems. His canine siblings also became ill.

Bea's Beat

Blog with CAPS Spokesmodel Beatrice, a puppy mill survivor and vegan advocate.

Blog with Beatrice!

Deborah Howard

Deborah Howard

Learn more about Deborah Howard, president and founder of Companion Animal Protection Society.

Meet Deborah


Keep up-to-date about CAPS and read about issues affecting companion animals, especially those suffering in pet shops and puppy mills.

Visit CAPS Blog

Contact Us

Contact CAPS

Companion Animal Protection Society (CAPS)
759 CJC Hwy., #332
Cohasset, MA 02025
p: 339-309-0272
501 (c)(3) Tax ID#: 58-2040413

Contact by Webform

Class Action Lawsuits

scales of justice

If you purchased a sick or dying puppy from Barkworks or Happiness is Pets, you may be able to join consumer class action lawsuits. The first step is to fill out the CAPS complaint form.

Read more about Happiness is Pets or Barkworks.

CAPS Complaint Form